The 49th Regiment of Foot, Grenadiers is always recruiting new members!
The members of our group have a wealth of knowledge and are always willing to help a new member and answer any questions they may have about the unit or the hobby, as well as getting them equipped once they join the group.
The group is based around the Peterborough area of Ontario, and as such, many of our unit meetings and drill practices are held in this area. However we gladly accept members from across Ontario and other regions.
Notes on Joining:
- Members are expected to camp in period correct tents, and use an appropriate amount of camp equipment so as to not compromise the military atmosphere and accuracy of the camp. While many events offer spaces for modern camping, members are encouraged to camp in the historical camp, both to aid communication within the unit at events and to add to the impression and experience of period camping.
- Members wishing to camp in the historical camp are to use a period correct ‘Wedge’ style tent, which can be purchased from a number of approved suppliers.
- While most women in the unit portray camp followers, women are allowed to portray soldiers if they wish. However it is expected that any women wishing to portray soldiers take appropriate steps to conceal their gender during ‘public hours’ of events.
- Firearms licences are not required to handle or use a musket at events. However members are expected to handle the muskets with caution and respect as they would any modern day firearm. Training with the muskets will occur both in the off-season and at events. New recruits will use a “wooden” flint until they reach a level of safe competency as determined by the officers.
- The unit charges its’ members an Annual Membership Fee, which covers the cost of insurance for any member operating a musket, the unit provided black powder to any musket man and any other unit expenses throughout the year. These fees are collected once a year at the unit’s Annual General Meeting and are currently as follows:
Individual Membership Fee …….. $30.00
Family Membership Fee …………$60.00
Notes on Uniform and Equipment:
- While the initial cost of the hobby may seem high, once all the appropriate kit is acquired after two years, there is very little cost associated with attending events. The initial cost of all required kit will be around $1500.
- After one year, recruits are expected to acquire the following:
Period shirt, neck stock, haversack, grey wool trousers,
fatigue jacket and cap, short gaiters, black footwear.
- After two years, recruits are expected to acquire the remainder of the required kit:
Regimental coat, ‘Stovepipe’ shako with accoutrements,
white buff leather cross belts, cartridge box, wooden canteen,
3rd Model Brown Bess musket.
- In order to aid in the initial stages of acquiring kit, recruits may be able to borrow surplus kit from within the unit, on a TEMPORARY basis while they acquire their full kit over the two-year period.
ALL UNIFORM AND EQUIPMENT MUST BE PURCHASED FROM APPROVED SUTLERS AND MADE FROM APPROVED HISTORICAL PATTERNS AND MATERIALS.
IF IN DOUBT, PLEASE ASK!